Wednesday last week I got cooking again! (still trying to catch up)
This time I attempted the wild rice and roasted beetroot salad – also from Jamie Oliver’s magazine.
This recipe was from the section title ‘Jamie’s mid-week classics’ and this means that these recipes have less ingredients to them and therefore can be cooked up in a quicker time. However in hindsight I dont think this recipe was very well thought out as it was rushed and I ended up adding quite a few ingredients at the end to give it more flavour.
I had a bit of a kitchen nightmare with this recipe as it seemed to be too many new things to learn how to cook in one night.
Favourite bits I chomped…
I loved the wild rice that is used in this dish. AND I LOVED the roasted beetroot in red wine vinegar – so tasty.
Lessons I learnt from my chomping…
I would replace the hazelnuts with either almonds or pine nuts – or both – but the hazelnuts were not my favourite nut and I didnt feel like they added anything to the dish.
NUMBER 1 LESSON FROM THIS RECIPE… when it says artichoke hearts … buy artichoke hearts!! Don’t ever do what I did and try to cook the whole artichoke and then proceed to find the hearts!
It ends with a messy kitchen, a lot of work and not a lot of artichoke to add to the salad!
My lucky mum and brother have to try all my experiments – good and bad (this is what I reminded them at 9pm when this not so flavourful dinner was served!)
The feedback from them was this
- the salad in its entirety needed extra red wine vinegar adding to it for flavour.
- It also could do with onion or chives (which i proceeded to pick from the garden and add!).
- The beetroot would be better chopped up smaller and mixed in more so that there were more mouthfuls with the delicious beetroot.
- We also added extra mint and orange as there was overall just a lack of flavour with this dish.
Here I will now attach the recipe –
but please if you want to try this then learn from my mistakes and make this the scrumptious dish it should be 😀
Wild Rice and Roasted Beetroot Salad
- 4 Beetroots
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar (I’d even use more!)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (again I replace this with coconut oil)
- 250g wild rice
- 8 cooked artichoke hearts halved
- zest and juice of one orange
- 2 tbsp hazelnuts toasted and chopped (i’d find an alternative)
- 2 tbsp chopped mint (MORE!)
Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4
quarter the beetroots and place on a large roasting tray – pour over the red wine vinegar and olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 45 minutes. Cover with foil if they look like they are cooking to fast.
Cook the rice (read packet) cool with cold water then toss with the beetroot and remaining ingredients.